Boot-time messages under Fedora 16

Alan Stern stern at rowland.harvard.edu
Fri Dec 9 17:18:30 UTC 2011

Under Fedora 14 and earlier, boot-time messages get stored in
/var/log/boot.log.  Things like "Welcome to Fedora" and "Starting
udev:" would appear there.

After I upgraded to Fedora 16, this no longer works.  Nothing gets
written to /var/log/boot.log.  All the output from systemd simply gets
sent to the console, where it scrolls off the screen and is lost.

My /etc/rsyslog.conf file still contains the same old setting as
before:

# Save boot messages also to boot.log
local7.*                                                /var/log/boot.log

But it doesn't do any good.  In particular, systemd's output goes
directly to the console and not to the log.

Is this deliberate?  Or is it a bug in systemd?  Is there any way to
capture these messages?

Alan Stern