Fedora 16's Performance

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Wed Dec 14 16:55:59 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-12-14 at 09:18 -0700, Lawrence Graves wrote:
> I am writing this because I am beginning to get frustrated with Fedora
> 16. I am on the verge of going back to Fedora 15 so I can have some
> peace of mind. There was a time up until now that after a RC release
> it would settle down and run nice but with this Release that is not
> the case. I am not giving up on Fedora as a whole but when you can't
> make anything run without freezing screens and nvidia drivers won't
> install it becomes frustrating.

Indeed.

I, too am getting very frustrated with the constant crashing of Gnome
Shell, very poor quality updates, weird behavior of extensions, and the
general "pokeness" and instability of included applications.

I'm now very seriously considering dropping a little over $3K on a good
MacBook Pro. I have a coworker who has been using Linux as long as I
have - dating back to the early days of Slackware - who recently did the
same.

I'm still willing to toy around with F16 at this point, but my patience
has definitely worn out with this release. I need something I can depend
on for both work and play.

I really hope - as Alan Cox suggested - that the focus for the next two
releases is stability and user experience as opposed to just adding more
new features. If not, my next base distro will guaranteed to be MacOS
Lion...

Cheers,

Chris

--