Fedora 16's Performance

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 17:30:43 UTC 2011

On 14 December 2011 17:09, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
> On 12/14/2011 11:18 AM, Lawrence Graves wrote:
>
> I am writing this because I am beginning to get frustrated with Fedora 16. I
> am on the verge of going back to Fedora 15 so I can have some peace of mind.
> There was a time up until now that after a RC release it would settle down
> and run nice but with this Release that is not the case. I am not giving up
> on Fedora as a whole but when you can't make anything run without freezing
> screens and nvidia drivers won't install it becomes frustrating.
>

> Maybe I made a lot of changes at once, from a HP nc2400 with f14 to a Lenovo
> x120e with f16.  I have not noticed any slowdowns even though the HP was a
> duo core and the Lenovo is single.  So I would put the suspect on the nvidia
> cruft.  And nvidia for some reason has been a long time sore spot with
> Fedora.

Just a data-point to the other side: I'm running nvidia happily on one
machine. Occasional gnome pauses, but they also affect my other
(non-nvidia) computer. Adding more RAM seemed to help a bit (now at
3GB, previously 1.5GB), do hope this gets attention in future
releases. (Yes bugs are filed)

--
imalone