Fedora 16's Performance

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Wed Dec 14 20:04:14 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-12-14 at 17:34 +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 12/14/2011 05:30 PM, Lawrence Graves wrote:
> > I just re-installed Fedora 16 on my desktop and before the re-install
> > every thing was running fine. Now Gnome3 is freezing and nautilus is
> > having trouble opening and the list goes on. I agree with Christopher
> > and Cox, maybe there needs to be a slow down on the eye candy and work
> > on a solid foundation for the eye candy to run on.
>
> Well, there isn't quite that choice: people working on GNOME aren't
> necessarily the same people as those working on display drivers.

Just a point of fact here for me...

I'm not running nVidia drivers on my F16 laptop. It's a Lenovo T400 with
Intel / ATI combo Graphics. I'm using the built-in OpenSources drivers
that come in the box with F16. Regardless of which mode I use (Intel or
ATI graphics), the same general instability issues I noted before are
clearly present.

This is not just an nVidia problem. Although, I would also point out
that the Nouveau drivers were impressively unstable on my Mom's computer
with an nVidia card. It was only after using the proprietary nVidia
drivers from RPM Fusion - and doing 2 attempts - that her video started
to stabilize.

She still also sees general instability with Gnome Shell, etc.

Chris

--

"Only two things are infinite,

-- Albert Einstein