Fedora 16's Performance

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Wed Dec 14 20:45:02 UTC 2011

On 12/14/2011 12:34 PM, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> Obviously, when running KDE, I don't see Gnome 3 crashes... :) But I do
> still see general instability with applications, Evolution in particular
> has issues with my company's Exchange system.

OK, then Gnome 3 itself doesn't look like the main issue.  However,
AIUI, Evolution is a Gnome program, so there are bits and pieces of
Gnome in use when you're running it, even under KDE.  Is your system
more stable when it's not running?  (I realize that the issues with
Exchange have nothing to do with Gnome; I'm looking at over-all system
stability.)

Over a decade ago, I told a caller, "A large part of trouble-shooting is
going down one blind ally after another until one of them isn't."  Right
now, I think you need to eliminate everything "Gnomic" and see if it
changes anything.  If nothing else, it might simplify the situation and
make it easier to pin down the root cause of your system's instability.