Gnome-Shell

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Dec 15 10:43:21 UTC 2011

> gnome-shell itself doesn't care, it just uses x.org. If x.org runs, and
> gives 3D capability, that's all that gnome-shell cares about.

Actually it does seem to care in a few cases. On FC15 it would
unilaterally decide to do fallback on > 2048 pixel wide Intel i9xx
displays. I assume this was because the X driver had some 3D bugs in
that case.

So it's a bit smarter rule and policy wise than you give it credit for.

It should certainly be "working" in FC15 even for most Intel configs, and
in FC16 it works on a Radeon HD2450 although it's got a few small bugs
now and then.

Alan