Big email mess ! How do I clean it up ? (Evolution, Thunderbird, maildir, mbox)

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Thu Dec 15 14:20:52 UTC 2011

> On Wed, 2011-12-14 at 23:56 -0700, linux guy wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Scott Doty <scott at ponzo.net> wrote:
>>
>>> And if that doesn't work, you could just use mutt -- it will read the
>>> maildirs and can save them as mboxes. :)
>>

>> Where does the "new" evolution keep them ?
>
> The default for local mail is maildirs. It used to be mboxes. You don't
> say what version of Evolution you're using. Earlier versions had some
> maildir support but it may have been buggy.

  One suggestion - never ever use local storage with any mail client.

  I recommend setting up a local imap server (dovecot works well) and
use that for -all- local storage for your mail. This is a really easy
thing to do.

  Once you do that, then you are now mail client independent - and can
switch clients without any issues about how mail is stored.

  gene