2 Thunderbird problems. Filters and S-L-O-W downloading.

Jake Shipton jakems at fedoraproject.org
Thu Dec 15 16:51:20 UTC 2011

On 15/12/11 15:25, linux guy wrote:
> Yesterday I migrated my email activities from Evolution to Thunderbird
> after my Evolution setup had been non operational for 4 months.
> Painful.
>
> Fortunately, I use gmail as my mail server, so I accessed my several
> email accounts via a web browser.  Painful, but it worked.
>
> Thunderbird is working OK, but I have 2 issues.
>
> 1.  It is taking forever to download the emails from one of my gmail
> accounts.   When I Get Mail on that account, it comes back saying a
> handful (8 to 20) emails are ready to download, downloads them and
> then stops.  If you check again, it gets another handful and stops.
> And again and again.
>
> I have several thousand emails to download from that account.  Why
> Thunderbird getting 200 emails at a time ?  Is this a gmail problem or
> a Thunderbird problem ?
POP3 or IMAP?

My Thunderbird running in IMAP works just fine at downloading messages.
I would however recommend only downloading headers. If you want to
download everything, that's okay too. But speed-wise it could be down to
speed caps on the Gmail servers. However I'm not entirely sure on that one.

As a Gmail user I've never noticed the issue you describe.

> 2.  I sort all my emails into local folders using filters.   I have
> created a half dozen filters, just like I would in Evolution, but they
> don't seem to run.  When I go Tools-> Message Filters-> Run Now,
> nothing happens.

Odd. Works just fine here, have you setup the filters correctly?

If you select a message that should filter into a folder and go to
"Tools > Run Filters on Message" does the message move to where it is
supposed to go?

> I have FiltaQuilla installed.
I have no idea what that is.

--