fedora equivalent of recovery disk

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Sat Dec 17 08:06:13 UTC 2011

On 12/13/2011 4:09 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:

> My estimate is that I will have materials in a day or two and then
> another day or two to finish up checking out all the suggestions I've
> got. I am estimating that I'll test one or both over the weekend.

To the list:

I've download and burned PartedMagic. It booted properly and I was able
to see what was available via "ls". Typed "clonezilla" and followed
directions ... took three tries and I don't understand why, but I was
able to get an image onto a USB.

I am now trying to see if I can boot from the image, but my poor little
laptop doesn't give me any options except CD/DVD or hard drive when I
hit f9 in the boot-up process.

One of the things I took from all the helpful info I got was that I
could boot from the USB to confirm it was working. It appears that I
can't do such and from what I can tell in Clonezilla, there doesn't seem
to be an option for booting the PartedMagic CD and telling it to reboot
off the USB.

Am I missing something, or is the USB something I can only transfer back
to hard drive?

I want to give G4L a try, but it seems the issue is now my laptop not
wanting to boot off USB which renders testing an USB image academic? ....
Thanks, Paul