[ABANDONING:] Re: fedora equivalent of recovery disk

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Sun Dec 18 05:31:25 UTC 2011

On 12/17/2011 9:10 PM, g wrote:

> that is might decent of them. is there someone there that understand
> linux enough to use it. ;-)
>
> as for what is installed. i would not worry about it unless it is something
> of a private nature and no child porn. 8-D
>
> main thing is that you do have a backup.

I double checked and they say that, given the problem I am describing,
it is hardware and they just want some way to 1) let it cook if the
problem doesn't want to show right away and 2) some way to have web access.

That still doesn't mean that the geek who does the work won't have a
heart-attack when he sees it isn't the factory installed OS, but the
person I talked to gave me her name and promised that the order would
state that "different OS is okay".

There's no porn, child or otherwise, to have to worry about (I still
shake my head when I read stories about computer techs discovering it on
machines they've been asked to work on --- kind of a Henny Youngman
variant of "Arrest me -- please"). The issue is Maya Beta and my code
that uses it. NDA and all that. I've seen what happened when something
"accidentally leaked" before and its not in their or my interest to have
that happen.

Yes, I have a backup that I'll only know is good when I need it. That's
a "the check is in the mail" proposition as far as I am concerned
(smile). I am still going through your last email giving how-to's ...
and that states what I discovered regarding /boot/grub.conf (though you
managed to say what it is and all I could muster was a "huh?" and a
guess at what might be going on).

Thanks,
Paul