[ABANDONING:] Re: fedora equivalent of recovery disk

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Sun Dec 18 07:24:51 UTC 2011

On 12/17/2011 11:10 PM, g wrote:
> On 12/18/2011 06:31 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> <>
>
>> They'll get thunderbird, but no email (if they want it, I'll have to
>> have a reason).
> -=-
>
> thunderbird is email. firefox is web browser. tho, if they are savvy,
> linux file browsers can be used for web browser.

typo on my part ... I meant to say that they won't get email
(Thunderbird) unless reason is given why

>> Good point about gnome / kde ... I was assuming that they wouldn't need a
>> shell. I planned on leaving the rc files et al at default f14.
> -=-
>
> thinking about that kde konqueror, besides web browser ability,<F4>  will
> open to a shell.
>
> thinking about all this, i fear i may make you paranoid, which i do not
> mean to do. so maybe this will help ease your mind;

You are doing a good job of making me paranoid (smile)
> ]$ locate bin/konsole
> /usr/bin/konsole
>
>    mv /usr/bin/konsole /usr/bin/konsole-hide
>
> or what ever you want to name it.
>
> using 'locate bin/filename' will find most all executables you may want
> to hide. just be sure you do not hide too much.

Thanks for explaining what you were expecting, it makes sense

>> Sudo should be controlled by sudoers file, right?
> -=-
>
> correct. brain must be getting tired.

Brain is fried

>> Renaming 'rm' and 'kill' are good ideas I hadn't thought of ...
> ]$ locate bin/rm
> /bin/rm
> /bin/rmdir
>
> ]$ locate bin/kill
> /bin/kill
> /sbin/killall5
> /usr/bin/kill
> /usr/bin/killall
>

>> they may be overkill but its not a bad idea for me to have a "you can't
>> hurt me"
> -=-
>
> nothing is overkill when it come to 'cyoa' - 'cover your own ass'.
>
> another thought, add a password for grub's boot up. then only way they can
> do more than just service is if they know to use a 'rescue cd' or a 'live'.

Brain overload ... I need to deal with that tomorrow morning (its
getting late in my time zone and I've always noticed that the later in
the day it gets the more I am likely to misread.

>> There's one of those cryptic emoticons after the<ctrl+alt+fx>
> ;) and ;-) are winks.

Thanks ... that being said I have to admit that when I see anything with
"<..>" implying keystroke sequences I treat it as more than just winks.

>> Point of honor says I remove to DVD and restore afterwards ... I owe
>> it to the folks I know developing Maya to act as though I was doing
>> what they would wish. They've been good to me and I know they'd want
>> it removed.
> -=-
>
> you have it on usb. dvd would be extra protection.

it will go to dvd ... I remember in my very first post on trying to get
a recovery medium I expressed a preference for burned data rather than
volatile. That hasn't changed in the process of this thread.

>> I'll try that, thanks for the suggestion (though I can't tell you
>> whether what was stored is an rpm).
> -=-
>
> all fedora is rpm.
>
>    rpm -q -l
>
> will list all rpm packages.
>
>    yum list all
>
> will show also.
>
> again, run 'man rpm' and 'man yum' and search for what you want to know.
> search is executed by entering "/" followed by what you want to search.
> pressing<n>  key for 'next'.

Yes, but is what Clonezilla stores an rpm? I've already stated my
unhappiness that a recovery medium is not part of Fedora. Since
Clonezilla is 3rd party, I can't assume any Fedora assumptions about
everything being an rpm?

>> Right now, I'm more interested in  understanding the original email
>> that explain what to do regarding  getting boot info on.
> -=-
>
> specifically?

When I have do enough research on the material you presented to have a
specific question, I can assure you that the odds in Vegas are that I
will ask it (smile). I owe it to you to do homework on the email before
asking.

Thanks,
Paul