[RESOLVED] Re: Recovering Journal - How Long?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun Dec 18 20:37:13 UTC 2011

On 12/19/2011 04:14 AM, Linda McLeod wrote:
> If hd is toast.. it can't hurt to tap it hard a few times, in the right
> ways...
>
> You can lightly tap it while it's trying to boot..?
>
> Off the top.. Why not install the hd upside-down, and try it..?
>
> Or freeze it with freeze spray, but not so much so as to cause snow and
> ice to form on cct brds..?
>
> Recite a hard-drive repair-prayer to one of your pretend gods..?
>
> If pops were still alive he'd probably suggest, "do a dance on one foot,
> whilst holding the other foot high, in the right hand, whilst singing
> frarajoka backwards in tenor"..  but you can't ever believe anything
> pops said...
>
> Off the top, Why not open the box, and check that all wire connectors
> are properly mated..?
>
> Last idea says the hd has developed bad sectors..
> Me thinks there's software to rewrite onto good sectors what's on bad
> ones..?

Thanks for all your suggestions.  I've been in computer hardware since
1974 and indeed, tried much of what you suggested.

As for singing frarajoka backwards, our ceremony usually included
swinging a dead chicken.  But, seriously , we did have a few dedications
during installations involving dead pigs.

If it were only a single sector, or a group of sectors, that would have
been nice.  I guess the good news is that the 5 year warranty was still
valid.  But, it had to be sent to the manufacture for a replacement and
that will take a few days.  Didn't want to wait....but at least I'll
have a spare.

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless