[ABANDONING:] Re: fedora equivalent of recovery disk

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Dec 21 03:44:04 UTC 2011

[inline]

On 12/20/2011 5:47 PM, g wrote:

> which image? if the one on usb, because you can not boot usb with bios
> you have, you need to put thoughts elsewhere. [see 'bios' below]

I am trusting from what I read that I might not have a bootable image,
but I have an image of the hardrive sans boot stuff that I can restore
back to the hardrive.

> instead of trying to make usb backup bootable, try 'chroot' and use 'rpm'
> and 'yum' to check files.

I've saved these notes and will wait for laptop to get repaired

> as for unique files, comparing by 'path/file' will/would be way to go.

already understood

> to restore unique that you remove, boot laptop with system that you removed
> unique files from and copy unique files back in from usb or dvd backup.

Though this makes sense, I am thinking that the reason I would want
image is for a complete snap and the dealing with uniques and all that I
would be doing deltas with CD/DVD. I always make copy of any system
files I change as well. I usually do full archive once a month and
deltas every week (or more often if I do lots of changes).

> or, 'rpm' and 'yum' checks. unique files/data by path/file comparing.

Yes, I bearing this in mind.

> bios.
>
> i understand feelings about upgrading bios. it is something to consider.
>
> in such regard, consider that if you pull all the bios upgrades for your
> computer, you should find what you need for usb boot.
>
> from what i have seen and experienced, bios upgrade can be made from a
> bootable floppy. if laptop has a floppy drive. if not, you should be able
> to install with 'wine'.
>
> to play safe, have repair service make bios upgrade for you. if it does
> not work, it is their responsibility. 8-)

I hadn't thought of adding the "check bios and advise" as part of the
repair ... I might be making a trip back to add it on to the list. But
only as an "advise first" as I really don't want if it isn't going to do
me any good (don't fix something if it isn't broke).

Thanks,
Paul