After a while, dolphin, konqueror (and other KDE apps) won't start...

Steven P. Ulrick meow8282 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 21:51:40 UTC 2011

On 12/22/2011 07:13 AM, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
>

>> Let's say I login to a fresh KDE session.  All of the above listed
>> applications start and function perfectly.  Then, let's say I have
>> closed all instances of the "offending" KDE applications.  If I attempt
>> to start one of them from KRunner, it just does not start.
>
> One guess is that your dbus session has stopped responding for some reason.
>
> Does running:  qdbus
> return and show anything?
>
> Otherwise,
> I'd look in ~/.xsession-errors for anything suspicious
> try running apps under strace, may give a clue where things are getting
> wedged.
>
> -- rex

Hello Rex,
Here is the output of "qdbus":
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=CicNz0hV

Also, I have what MIGHT be a related issue that I just saw for the first
time: At least Dolphin and Konqueror will not load any directories.  The
window opens and looks normal except for the fact that the area where
the directories/files would be displayed is blank.  Dolphin gives me a
really good error message:

Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:
klauncher said: Error loading 'kio_file'.

Here is the output of "qdus", as well as a strace for three different
applications that exhibit this issue:
http://tinypaste.com/d4d1b2c1 (dolphin)
http://tinypaste.com/d2d9bc1c (konqueror)
http://tinypaste.com/35f50887 (ksysguard)
http://tinypaste.com/4761c6cb (qdbus)

If you need any more information, let me know.

Steven P. Ulrick