After a while, dolphin, konqueror (and other KDE apps) won't start...

夜神 岩男 supergiantpotato at yahoo.co.jp
Sat Dec 24 02:44:07 UTC 2011

On 12/24/2011 06:51 AM, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:

> Also, I have what MIGHT be a related issue that I just saw for the first
> time: At least Dolphin and Konqueror will not load any directories. The
> window opens and looks normal except for the fact that the area where
> the directories/files would be displayed is blank. Dolphin gives me a
> really good error message:
>
> Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:
> klauncher said: Error loading 'kio_file'.

That sounds a lot like what happens with NFS /home mounts when the
directory dies after login. Users can still mount/refresh their /home
partitions and login thanks to Kerberos, but can't pull uid/gid
information from the directory so everything is owned by nfsnobody. This
has the effect of halting most new program execution because needed
dotfiles and user-specific temp space can't be accessed, but existing
processes just start getting weird slowly instead of dying right away.

No idea if your problem is actually permissions related, but it sure
sounds similar, particularly the kio_file loading error and inability
for Konqueror or Dolphin to show you contents of directories.