BIOS doesn't see hard drive with Fedora 16, may it be an install?issue?

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 08:10:29 UTC 2011

M. Fioretti <mfioretti <at> nexaima.net> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 22:28:20 PM +0000, JB wrote:
> >
> > Reboot to BIOS (F2 key):
> > - restore Setup Defaults (some F? key), then SAVE and EXIT to restart
>
> I had already tried before my first post everything you wrote up to
> this point:
>
> >   Serial ATA (SATA)
> >     SATA Controller Mode Option: AHCI (or Compatibility ?)
>
> I don't remember now if this was in AHCI or not. WHat value should I
> set this to? AHCI, I guess?

Remember - every BIOS config and data is exposed to the user differently (some
minimal, others almost in full view). Yours may vary as well.

Anyway, mine is set up for AHCI.
But if trouble persists, you may try other option(s) available there.

> Also:
>
> > - perform hard disk installation once again:
> >   - do NOT accept default installation !!!
> >   - select custom install/layout,
>
> I had done this, but not using only one partition, I used something
> like (exact values escape my mind now):
>
> /boot
> /
> swap
> /home
>
> I'll try your other suggestions later, thanks.

See the follow-up posts regarding the need to partition and format the entire
disk first time, after receiving a new system/component (hard disk).

JB