where is the config for dynamically added volumes in nautilus?

Da Rock fedora-list at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Fri Dec 30 01:14:11 UTC 2011

I've googled for close to a week to resolve this. I know that inserting
a usb disk (depending on setup and version) causes a knock on effect by
calling dbus, hal, and maybe more depending. But *how* does nautilus (or
any other file manager system) find out that the disk is there and put
an icon in the sidebar ("places")?

I've checked bookmarks, GConf- nothing I can see anywhere tells me how
this is done. I figured there must be a GConf setting somewhere or
another backend that stores this otherwise there'd be too many lookups.

Surely it can't be polling for it through hal continuously?

Clues anyone?