rc.local question/problem

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sun Jul 3 07:53:25 UTC 2011

On 02Jul2011 22:26, Paul Allen Newell <pnewell at cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
| On 7/2/2011 10:06 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
| > On 07/02/2011 09:45 PM, Cameron Simpson wrote:
| >> That should be the case. (Of course, SELinux can break anything - if you
| >> run out of ideas you could turn it off to see if the behaviour changes.)
| > I've had experience with SELinux issues.  There's something about the
| > Einstein at home work units that keeps triggering them.  Each time it
| > happens, I get an alert.  And, there was a time that SELinux kept
| > getting triggered because of sloppy programming in GoogleEarth.  In
| > every case, I've gotten an alert and, if there was a way to correct it,
| > instructions.  I'm not sure how that works during startup, but there
| > should be a log you can check.  If there's nothing in the log, SELinux
| > isn't an issue.
|
| Though I am just guessing, it seems that it is a permissions issue. If
| anyone can tell me where the SELinux log is or how to turn it off, I
| will gladly run tests with that

You can put it into non-enforcing mode on the fly with the command:

  setenforce 0

Run "setenforce 1" to turn it back on.

One of SELinux' many charms is that a program's ability to do stuff can
depend on where it is invoked. I'm sure this is great for making fine
grained controls, but it also makes for terrible debugging situations.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Ten percent of people can think, another ten percent of people think that
they think, and eighty percent of people would rather die than be made to
think. - Ralph Waldo Emerson