Name resolution

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jul 6 02:01:55 UTC 2011

夜神 岩男:
>> DNS query history would be the single most potent addition to Google's
>> profiling tags (as in naked profiling, on subjects who are not logged in
>> to a Google service or accepting tracking cookies or other devices).

Joe Zeff:
> How do they keep track of people like me who have dynamic IP addresses?
>   And, for that matter, I'm house sitting right now over fifty miles
> from home using a friend's connection.  How can they tell that my DNS
> queries are mine, not his?  (Not that I use Google's DNS, but the
> question's still valid in the general case.)

How hard is to imagine how?  Obviously, there's very likely to be some
holes in the data.  But once you login somewhere that's associated with
Google, you're known.  From then on, you're databaseable.

Before that, using the world's largest database, that's already been
databasing you, it's a matter of correlating the trend of what you're
doing with someone who's been databased for doing the same thing, to
establish a probability that it's the same person.

While that's fraught with errors, it's the evidential methodology in
solving a crime (fit the likely pieces together until you find something
very corroborating that links to something provable, then you follow
those links back in reverse).

But I think most people will identify themselves, somewhere, by logging
into at least one service, and that service will be one of Google's, or
something they've got a finger in.  I think this happening will be far
more likely than people think might happen.

And right now, a search engine probably knows your IP, since they could
have indexed these emails (with headers), and you're probably not doing
anything to hide it.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686