No Minimize Button

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Thu Jul 7 11:51:37 UTC 2011

>> But the long and short of it is, if you want the buttons (and more)
>> back, just install gnome-tweak-tool and pick the right options to
>> re-enable them.
>>
>> I've been using the list archives for almost
>> all my troubleshooting.� I am very interested
>> in seeing that discussion, but I have not
>> been able to find it yet.� Still looking.
>>  From my perspective I can't imagine anybody
>> thinking that is a good idea.

I originally thought omitting the minimize button was crazy, but after
using gnome3 for a month or so, I don't miss it at all. gnome3 has a
different way of doing things; give it time. If you can "swoosh" into
the activities area to rapidly select a different window, having a
minimize button doesn't really make sense (or at least, it is redundant
- and gnome has always opted for simplification over extra flexibility).

I also originally hated the default fonts, but I like them now - but I
had to enable "Large Text" in the Accessibility button at the top.

I'm not sure about the task-switching method, though. I'm having a hard
time using the alt+tab / alt+backtick combo naturally. I think it could
be improved.

My 2 cents.

- Mike