How to enable CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jul 7 10:10:37 UTC 2011

Am 07.07.2011 11:53, schrieb Daniele Guerrieri:
> Yes, maybe ALT+PRINT+K would be better :) i have to try it.

ok :-)

> From wikipedia (probably also in kernel/Documentation but now i'm on
> a win machine) i've read:

have you a link?
i do not find this on wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sysrq

> On newer kernels (exact version unknown), it is possible to have a
> more fine-grained control. [...]
>
> #$ echo #number > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
>
> Possible values are:
>
> 0 - disable sysrq
> 1 - enable sysrq completely
>> 1 - bitmask of enabled sysrq functions:
> 2 - control of console logging level
> 4 - control of keyboard (SAK, unraw)
> 8 - debugging dumps of processes etc.
> 16 - sync command
> 32 - remount read-only
> 64 - signalling of processes (term, kill, oom-kill)
>
> maybe a "damage-free" number could be 16?

i think this is not enough for "ALT+PRINT+K" because sync
is only for flushing disk-buffers, maybe i play around a
little bit at the weekend but i guess we need something
like 4 + 64 for "ALT+PRINT+K" and 16 is really nice if
all hangs to use it before a hrad power-cycle

what i nat want are the reboot/halt-options because without
sync/umount they are the same like a hard-reset/power-cycle