Fedora 15 won't do automatic updates

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 17 14:05:19 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-07-17 at 10:45 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 22:39:20 +0100, JB (James) wrote:
>
> > I have just run "Software Updates". There are three options; I have them
> > set to check daily, to install all updates (as opposed to security
> > updates) automatically and not to do it using mobile broadband (this is
> > a desktop anyway). I never see a window pop up and ask if I want to
> > update _unless_ I go to either Software Updates or Software Update and
> > start the check manually. Then I almost always get a list of things to
> > do, sometimes as many as 50 packages, depending how long since I last
> > checked. So the machine is certainly not updating automatically.
> >
> > FWIW, I don't think an invisible update process would be desirable. Is
> > that what "automatic" means?
> >
> > So far as I know, I am running Fedora 15 x86_64 with no modifications.
> > There must be a config file somewhere: does anyone know what it is
> > called? And for a daily check, when should the check happen - at first
> > boot up or at a particular time of day? If the latter, what happens if
> > the computer is turned off then? If the check is set for midnight, mine
> > would never actually be running. That might explain a lot!
>
> I've modified several related configuration values manually (i.e.
> without using the GUI):
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2011-May/100453.html
>
> There's some background in that thread, albeit some misinformation,
> too. So, please don't draw false conclusions. It's not trivial without
> documentation.
>
> Reducing several of the config values from 604800 (weekly) to
> 86400 (daily) or less than that has helped. There's also a value
> to force an update poll at login-time.

As usual I am confused. Exactly what did you do change the config values
and where (in what file) did you do it? What is the value to do updates
at login time?

I have yet to catch the automatic update process working? And I can't
see why i would automatic updates without previous notification of what
is being updated as has worked in previous Fedora versions.
The life of a repo man is always intense.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net