Fedora 15 won't do automatic updates

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 08:45:15 UTC 2011

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 22:39:20 +0100, JB (James) wrote:

> I have just run "Software Updates". There are three options; I have them
> set to check daily, to install all updates (as opposed to security
> updates) automatically and not to do it using mobile broadband (this is
> a desktop anyway). I never see a window pop up and ask if I want to
> update _unless_ I go to either Software Updates or Software Update and
> start the check manually. Then I almost always get a list of things to
> do, sometimes as many as 50 packages, depending how long since I last
> checked. So the machine is certainly not updating automatically.
>
> FWIW, I don't think an invisible update process would be desirable. Is
> that what "automatic" means?
>
> So far as I know, I am running Fedora 15 x86_64 with no modifications.
> There must be a config file somewhere: does anyone know what it is
> called? And for a daily check, when should the check happen - at first
> boot up or at a particular time of day? If the latter, what happens if
> the computer is turned off then? If the check is set for midnight, mine
> would never actually be running. That might explain a lot!

I've modified several related configuration values manually (i.e.
without using the GUI):
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2011-May/100453.html

There's some background in that thread, albeit some misinformation,
too. So, please don't draw false conclusions. It's not trivial without
documentation.

Reducing several of the config values from 604800 (weekly) to
86400 (daily) or less than that has helped. There's also a value
to force an update poll at login-time.