Automounting/unavailability of devices...

William W. Austin airedad at att.net
Mon Jul 25 05:28:47 UTC 2011

This never bothered me until after (a) I upgraded to fc15 and (b) a
friend asked me how to turn it off.

I have a box with a drive (used for writing out bios files
and the like for pc's).

When I insert a floppy, a cd, or a dvd into a drive and try to
access it, fc15 seems to have to think about it and then MAYBE give me
permission to access the device - and some things like xmms which used
to play cd's no problems or xine which did the same with DVD's get
blocked.  (If I reboot under fc14 the problem goes away.)

I remember turning this off in 14 but for the life of me I can't
remember how.  The behavior in 15 seems a bit more rigid than it was
in 14, although I can't be certain.  I did a search through both the
docs AND my notes from 14, but I haven't found it yet.

Any info on how to turn off this "automount" feature would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks
 -- wwa
william w. austin                                     airedad at att.net
"life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."