Fedora 15 won't do automatic updates

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 29 13:59:52 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-07-23 at 00:06 +0100, James Bridge wrote:
> OK, I now understand what is going on. Software updates are divided into
> two groups, security updates and others. Security updates are
> implemented as they arise, taking account of your preferences in
> "Software Updates". The others are queued up and executed once a week,
> regardless of your settings. If you opt for "automatically install", you
> get no indication that the update is under way, security or not.
>
> Thank you, Michael, for pointing to that thread:
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2011-May/100453.html
> I agree that the Software Updates GUI is unsatisfactory; it isn't clear
> what effect the settings have.
> --
> James Bridge <james at xmas.demon.co.uk>

There is a problem with the statements above. In F14 if you run
gpk-prefs (aka Software Updates in F15) you can set the updates to be
Daily and Automatically Install to Nothing and what will happen is that
when updates are waiting to be installed you get an orange sun-like icon
in the upper panel and you can click on it to see the updates and
install them.

No such similar behavior occurs in F15. Some updates are installed
automatically (I don't know which) and the rest must be installed
manually.

I suspect an indication that this is what will happen is demonstrated by
the program gpk-update-icon which I think is what generate the sun-like
icon in F14. No such program appears in F15. Correct me if I am wrong.

Once again in Gnome3 a feature that gave me some control over what
updates were installed is missing. Someone tell me why this is an
improvement?
Why won't sharks eat lawyers? Professional courtesy.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net