tmpfiles.d and spaces in filenames

Corinna Vinschen vinschen at redhat.com
Wed Jun 1 15:11:33 UTC 2011

Hi,

How can I specify filenames with spaces in tmpfiles.d configuration
files?  There's no hint in `man tmfiles.d'.  I tried

- fstab style:      d /foo\040bar 0755 root root
- web style:        d /foo%20bar 0755 root root
- quoted style 1:   d "/foo bar" 0755 root root
- quoted style 2:   d '/foo bar' 0755 root root

This results in two directories

  /foo\040bar
  /foo%20bar

and two error messages:

  Path '"/foo' not absolute.
  Path ''/foo' not absolute.

So, do I have to take it that tmpfiles.d doesn't grok spaces in
filenames at all?

Please note, I'm not asking for the obvious answer "don't do this" and
I'm also not asking for the counter question "why do you need this?"

Corinna