How to choose network path with two internet connection

Armelius Cameron armeliusc at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 14:51:38 UTC 2011

Hello,
Suppose I have a laptop that has both Wired and Wireless connection. The
Wired connection would be connected to LAN only. The Wireless connection
would have full internet access. Obviously the two connections will have two
different IP: a local IP address (e.g. 192.168.x.x) for the Wired, and a
public IP address for the Wireless.

How does an application know which network path to use ?

For example, I want to be able to run SSH or Synergy to other machine on the
LAN, so SSH would have to use the LAN network. But I also want to be able to
run mail client that is connected to an IMAP server in the outside world, so
my mail client have to use the Wireless network. How does something like
this work ?

Thanks.
AC