How to choose network path with two internet connection

Pittigher, Raymond - ES Raymond.Pittigher at itt.com
Thu Jun 2 14:55:24 UTC 2011

From: users-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org [users-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org] On Behalf Of Armelius Cameron [armeliusc at gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2011 10:51 AM
To: users at lists.fedoraproject.org
Subject: How to choose network path with two internet connection

Hello,
Suppose I have a laptop that has both Wired and Wireless connection. The Wired connection would be connected to LAN only. The Wireless connection would have full internet access. Obviously the two connections will have two different IP: a local IP address (e.g. 192.168.x.x) for the Wired, and a public IP address for the Wireless.

How does an application know which network path to use ?

For example, I want to be able to run SSH or Synergy to other machine on the LAN, so SSH would have to use the LAN network. But I also want to be able to run mail client that is connected to an IMAP server in the outside world, so my mail client have to use the Wireless network. How does something like this work ?

Thanks.
AC

You would have your default route defined as the next hop on the wireless network so if it is not a 192.168.x.x address it will use the wireless.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be proprietary and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender.
Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of ITT Corporation. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. ITT accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.