How to choose network path with two internet connection

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Jun 2 14:59:41 UTC 2011

Armelius Cameron writes:

> Hello,
> Suppose I have a laptop that has both Wired and Wireless connection. The
> Wired connection would be connected to LAN only. The Wireless connection
> would have full internet access. Obviously the two connections will have two
> different IP: a local IP address (e.g. 192.168.x.x) for the Wired, and a
> public IP address for the Wireless.
>

> How does an application know which network path to use ?

The application doesn't know and doesn't care. It's the kernel's job to
route the connection properly.

> For example, I want to be able to run SSH or Synergy to other machine on the
> LAN, so SSH would have to use the LAN network. But I also want to be able to
> run mail client that is connected to an IMAP server in the outside world, so
> my mail client have to use the Wireless network. How does something like this
> work ?

Given what you described, and how Fedora admin's tool work, it'll work
automatically, as long as you set up your network interfaces correctly.

When you set up your LAN interface, the admin tools should set up a route
for your LAN IP address range for that interface. Ditto for your wireless
connection, which will have a route for your wireless LAN, and a default
route to the wireless AP's IP address.

Connections to your LAN IP address ranges will take the LAN route.
Connections to all other IP address will go to the default route.

If you enable IP forwarding and masquerading, your machines on the LAN will
also have Internet connectivity, if they are set to use your laptop's LAN IP
address as their router.