AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor runs only between 800-2700 Mhz

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 16:38:27 UTC 2011

On 06/02/11 08:40, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> cat
>> cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/bios_limit
>>
>> and i can see it as max cpufreq.
>>
>> i am a bit confused. windows shows it correctlxy and the linux system
>> is as slow as 2700 MHZ :)
> I'm having a similar problem. My Athlon X6 1090T is overclocked from
> 3200 to 3700, yet appears to be running at 800mhz. I've stopped
> /etc/init.d/cpufreq, but where the monitor usually shows 3200 when
> it's stopped, now it's showing 800.
>
> processor       : 5
> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> cpu family      : 16
> model           : 10
> model name      : AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor
> stepping        : 0
> cpu MHz         : 3200.000
> cache size      : 512 KB
> physical id     : 0
> siblings        : 6
> core id         : 5
> cpu cores       : 6
> apicid          : 5
> initial apicid  : 5
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 6
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext
> fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good
> nonstop_tsc extd_apicid aperfmperf pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm
> cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch
> osvw ibs skinit wdt cpb npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save
> bogomips        : 7449.19
> TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
> clflush size    : 64
> cache_alignment : 64
> address sizes   : 48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
> power management: ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate [9]
>
> # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/bios_limit
> 3200000
>
> # dmesg |grep Detected
> [    0.000000] Detected 3724.112 MHz processor.
> [    5.144606] [drm] Detected VRAM RAM=1024M, BAR=256M
>
> How do you manually set the cpu speed? I've tried the cpuspeed
> program, but I'm not sure how to use it. In order to fix the speed to
> a certain frequency, you have to use the -a option:
>
>          -a<AC file>
>              Sets the ACPI AC adapter state file and tells the program to set
>              the CPU cores to minimum speed when the AC adapter is disconnected.
>              (This is the default but is changeable by the '-D' option below).
>
> Where does this AC file come from? This is my desktop, not a laptop,
> so there is no other option than to use the AC adapter.
>
> If I start /etc/init.d/cpuspeed, it will control the CPU, but it never
> really seems to go above 800mhz, even when it should be necessary.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
 From the output of your /proc/cpuinfo, it shows
your cpuspeed to be 3200.00 MHz, not 800MHz.
Your bogomips is stated to be 7449.1 mips.
Where are you seeing 800MHz? From a benchmark
or other system file?

Contrasting your /proc/cpuinfo with my old unicore Athlon64:
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 4
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+
stepping : 10
cpu MHz : 798.186 <<<<< This is my baddie :)
cache size : 1024 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception: yes
cpuid level : 1
wp                : yes
flags             : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext lm
3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips          : 1596.37
clflush size      : 64
cache_alignment   : 64
address sizes     : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management  : ts fid vid ttp