Preupgrade still sucks. Maybe sucks less, maybe sucks more.

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Jun 5 21:31:49 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-06-04 at 12:33 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Michael H. Warfield wrote:
>
> > Classically, for those servers (some of which originally started out on
> > FC1) have been upgraded using the yum upgrade method.
>
> As a matter of interest, what exactly is _the_ yum upgrade method?
> I've seen the term used by several people,
> but as far as I can see they refer to different methods.

> And don't all upgrade methods use yum in some way?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

This is a pure yum upgrade from F{x} to F{x+1} (some people have
reported success with x+2 but I would personally avoid that like the
plague) on a live running system without taking it down for the upgrade
process..

So (in very shortened abbreviated summary form), to upgrade from F14 to
F15 you run...

yum update
yum clean all
rpm --import https://fedoraproject.org/static/069C8460.txt
yum --releasever=15 --disableplugin=presto distro-sync

(After a half an hour or so you'll probably complete this and reboot)

yum groupupdate Base

Now, I'm not quite sure exactly why that FAQ page recommends running
"yum update yum" since the first "yum update" should take care of that.
I have not been doing that step and it's never burned me (in fact, when
I have done that step, it's done nothing).

You should also read the caveats in that FAQ about cleaning up config
files and looking for any strange .rpmsave or .rpmorg types of things.
I think, in the past, squid was notorious for changing configuration
file formats and you have to port.

Also if you use Postgres, PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO DUMPING THE DATABASE
TO AN SQL DUMP FILE FIRST!  That is not mentioned on that page but
almost every Fedora click has taken Postgres through and upgrade click
which can not automagically migrate the databases.  I don't think
preupgrade or disk upgrades to any better here so it's not the fault of
yum upgrade.

Mike