Fedora 15 Network Printer Problems

Bill hb.cog.jil at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 15:58:42 UTC 2011

Greetings. I've recently switched from Ubuntu to Fedora. So far I'm
pleased, though I'm having real difficulty detecting my network printer
(which worked "automagically" under Linux Mint 10). I've searched
Google, the Fedora documentation, the Fedora Forums - everything I can
think of to no avail.

I'm running Fedora 15 on a Dell XPS m1530 laptop (192.168.2.2), which is
connected via modem/router to a network which includes my Dell Inspiron
530 desktop (192.168.2.3), which is currently running Linux Mint 11. My
HP Officejet 5610 all-in-one is connected to the desktop via usb cable.

I've used the Fedora 15 system-config-printer and cups browser interface
to attempt to get it working. Firewall has been adjusted to allow
connection. I installed hplip and have tried every driver available
(including generic). I've tried every available ip address (http, https,
ipp, socket and lpd) with various ports... no matter what I do the
laptop will not detect the printer. (I even installed samba and tried
connecting using a windows share.)

I can ping the desktop successfully, ssh, sshfs... but I can not find
the printer.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

--
Regards,