Adieu, Fedora

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 02:59:46 UTC 2011

On 6/12/11 7:37 PM, David wrote:
> On 6/12/2011 10:22 PM, John Aldrich wrote:

>>> FUD
>>>
>> I disagree. He makes a very valid point. New installs of Windows always
>> come up with a tutorial and "helper" app. I have never seen anything like
>> that on Linux. It's as if the developers are too busy with programming the
>> next iteration of their favorite app to be bothered with documentation, and
>> NO ONE has yet come up with a grand-unified "help" document (trust me "man
>> $appname" doesn't always work...)
>
> Really? Seriously?
>
> What "New installs of Windows" of Windows are you referring to? None
> that I have seen do this. Version numbers of Windows? Dates of install?
> I can't think of any.
WindowsXP and recently Windows Vista installed from media that was
produced by Microsoft that you can buy at places like Staples.com.  The
operating system even gives you at tour when you start it.  And if you
need to go back to it, it's there for you.

Now for the programs, there is this thing called pushing the F1 key.  It
brings up a help system.  I know that OpenOffice.org's was a joke and
most other Linux programs do this thing called 'read the man page'.
Interesting.  Get the man page for something like tar.  Simple program
and the document is confusing at best.  Love info pages too.  Would love
to see something like hypertexted documentation.

And you can purchase video tapes for Windows and Office, if you really,
really need them.  Office's help is on-line.  Still have to find that
for OpenOffice.

James McKenzie