Adieu, Fedora

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 03:04:22 UTC 2011

On 6/12/11 7:42 PM, David wrote:
> On 6/12/2011 10:31 PM, James McKenzie wrote:

>>> I said FUD instead of bull$hit because Windows does not do what he said.
>>> So what are you trying to say?
>> I've installed XP, Vista and Seven.  All of them start with a tour of
>> the operating system.  Even Windows Server 2003/2008 has the "Manage
>> Your Server" window that comes up.  When I start XP/Vista/Seven for the
>> first time, there is a 'Would You Like to Take a Tour" item that shows
>> up.  Does Linux do the same thing?  Last time I started up Gnome, it did
>> not.  That is what I'm trying to say.  My Mac had a very nice
>> introduction and really fancy setup system.  I did not find such a thing
>> when I installed Fedora 13 on my Thinkpad.  Remember, the system has to
>> be really easy.  Linux has not.  The phrase "Linux has friends, it is
>> just picky as to who they are" is not where we need to be if Linux is to
>> grow on the Workstation desktop.  I know there are folks who don't care,
>> but there are only so many servers in the world and Linux is presently
>> the winner in that category but is slipping.
>>
>> James McKenzie
>>

> James. Now I am confused. Are you saying that Linux *should* have a
> tutorial?
>
> Linux has always been the geek OS. And the directions have always been
> written in Geek for Geeks.

Yes.  To grow the desktop, we need to start embracing the common user.
There are a limited number of geeks and they cannot sustain Linux.  Not
at a financially viable level...

I would love to see the folks in Redmond squirm.  Windows has so many
problems that it should be banned from anywhere where reliability is
key.  Go to your local hospital and see what they are running.  It
scares me that they are running WindowsXP/Vista/Seven on the front end
and WindowsServer on the back.  I would, from a security viewpoint, love
to see this replaced with Linux and running a secure UI program.  This
is easier on Linux than Windows...

James McKenzie