systemd discussion

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Jun 16 12:16:55 UTC 2011

> I am also surprised (have been for long time) by seeing Linux projects violating
> UNIX principles of software development.
> In this particular context, I am disappointed that they, apparently, lack
> oversight by management, starting with the design phase.

That is hardly a Unix principle given Unix itself was a hack on an old
box to run spacewar as much as anything else.

Unix principles seem to have worked well - policy is in user space,
initialisation is handled by user space, the kernel doesn't have to
embody this.

Now systemd may be a pretty lousy attempt to replace init at this point
but it is also show the basic flexibility of keeping such stuff in user
space.

It may also do good things just as the fact NetworkManager was a complete
pile of crap inspired various people to write conman (which in turn seems
to have given the NetworkManager people the needed incentive 8))

Alan