F15 - Hidden Wireless not automatic

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Thu Jun 16 14:47:30 UTC 2011

On 06/16/2011 07:58 AM, Brian C. Huffman wrote:
> All,
>
> Has anyone else experienced the problem where a hidden wireless network
> will never automatically configure?  Even though fedora has saved all of
> the necessary settings (essid, encryption info), i have to manually go
> to Network-Settings->Wireless->Network-Name->Other and select my network
> for it to work.  If the laptop has just resumed, it will likely show up
> in the list, but still will not automatically connect.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

  If this is under your control, I'd suggest you don't hide the SSID -
its almost always pointless, adds no security and is borderline
violation of the 802.11x standards

  It may cause some clients to choose to not engage with AP's which do
not broadcast the SSID (and this is allowed by the 802.11 spec .. tho
the wording is dodgy and I'd bow to Tim Smith as a real expert).

  If the naughty AP is not under your control you might talk to its
owner and let them know its a good idea to broadcast its SSID and not
hide it.

  gene