F15 - Hidden Wireless not automatic

Tim Smith tim at electronghost.co.uk
Thu Jun 16 15:32:27 UTC 2011

> On 06/16/2011 07:58 AM, Brian C. Huffman wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > Has anyone else experienced the problem where a hidden wireless network
> > will never automatically configure?  Even though fedora has saved all of
> > the necessary settings (essid, encryption info), i have to manually go
> > to Network-Settings->Wireless->Network-Name->Other and select my network
> > for it to work.  If the laptop has just resumed, it will likely show up
> > in the list, but still will not automatically connect.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brian
>
>   If this is under your control, I'd suggest you don't hide the SSID -
> its almost always pointless, adds no security and is borderline
> violation of the 802.11x standards
>
>   It may cause some clients to choose to not engage with AP's which do
> not broadcast the SSID (and this is allowed by the 802.11 spec .. tho
> the wording is dodgy and I'd bow to Tim Smith as a real expert).

If you think that wording is dodgy, you try getting your head round Block
ACK :-)

wpa_supplicant supports setting scan_ssid=1 in the network block to make it
scan with a specific SSID in the probe requests, thus getting responses only
from the AP which has that SSID (and spotting the "hidden" ones that won't
respond unless you do this).

/usr/share/doc/wpa_supplicant-0.7.3/wpa_supplicant.conf on my F15 system
warns that this will add latency to scanning, which I simply don't believe.
In a target-poor environment you will send more probe requests, but people
typically don't have so many networks configured that this matters. In a
target-rich environment it cuts down the storm of probe responses and thus
improves things - you get APs on the far edge of range colliding with their
probe responses and increasing the probability that the one you really
wanted to see didn't get a look-in before the scanning station gave up and
moved to the next channel.

I think scan_ssid=1 should be the default, to be honest. If your network
config is in the text file you can probably fix this. I've got a suspicion
that you don't get to use wpa_supplicant.conf with NetworkManager though. I
don't have any NetworkManager-enabled systems to check with though; my boxes
are either servers or I need NM to stay out of the way for other reasons.

--
But while the ant gathered food, the grasshopper contracted to a point on a
manifold that was NOT a 3-sphere...