Again: the Nvidia driver does not work with Gnome 3

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 21:25:29 UTC 2011

On 06/19/2011 07:54 PM, Alexander Volovics wrote:

> Well Gnome 3 does require 3D hardware acceleration.

To be more accurate,  GNOME Shell requires hardware acceleration.
Fallback mode in GNOME 3 does not and work is being done upstream,  Adam
Jackson,  Red Hat Xorg developer to make software rendering in Mesa
capable enough to run GNOME Shell, perhaps by Fedora 16.

> And the nouveau driver IS slow when performing the normal graphics
> switches. You could live with that if you are a masochist but a real
> show stopper are the random freezes when nothing works anymore and you
> have to reboot.

Nouveau works just fine on my test system.  It really does depend on the
specific hardware.

> Hardly necessary as nouveau 3D is still a work in progress.

The work in progress is guided by feedback from users.  I would consider
it necessary

Rahul