HD 1TB or greater Fedora 15 64bit (SOLVED)

Misha Shnurapet shnurapet at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 22 12:19:44 UTC 2011

22.06.2011, 19:45, "Markku Kolkka" <markkuk at tuubi.net>:
> Misha Shnurapet kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika keskiviikko,
> 22. kesäkuuta 2011):
>
>>  Sure to avoid the WD GREEN series for a number of reasons,
>>  just google them.
>
> I've been using 1 terabyte WD Green drives (WD10EACS) for over
> two years in my Fedora/Windows dual-boot system without any
> problems. Googling will get you endless hits of people repeating
> rumors they have heard of others having problems. If there ever
> was an actual problem, it was fixed before late 2008 when I bought
> my drives.

> repeating rumors

I wouldn't say so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.#Known_ATA_S.M.A.R.T._attributes
The typical lifetime rating for laptop (2.5-in) hard drives is 300,000 to 600,000 load cycles. Some laptop drives are programmed to unload the heads whenever there has not been any activity for about five seconds. Many Linux installations write to the file system a few times a minute in the background. As a result, there may be 100 or more load cycles per hour, and the load cycle rating may be exceeded in less than a year.

The WD Caviar Green drives enable the Intelli-Park function that parks the head after 8 seconds being idle.

$ cat /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
500

$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Load_Cycle_Count
193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 158 158 000 Old_age Always - 127583

That's 127 000 out of 300 000 to 600 000 in 2200 hours on Linux.

--
Best regards,
Email: shnurapet AT fedoraproject.org, IRC: misha on freenode