Paradigm shift going from Gnome2 to Gnome3

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Jun 22 13:45:04 UTC 2011

Am 22.06.2011 15:37, schrieb Darryl L. Pierce:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 02:21:07PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
>>> But does Fedora 15 "require high end hardware"? No, it doesn't.
>>
>> It won't even install on a machine with 512Mb, so yes it requires high
>> end hardware by many people's measurements.
>
> I _really_ don't consider having more than 512M on a machine to be "high
> end hardware". The standard for YEARS now has been for systems to come
> with at least a gig or more of memory.
>
> Memory requirements are based on the intended purpose of the
> installation. And I'll wager that someone who's looking to use a GUI
> desktop on their system is not installing onto a machine with only 512M
> and hasn't been doing so for quite a while; i.e., F15 isn't the first
> release to need more memory than that for a GUI.
>
> Quite frankly, I'd question the sanity of someone who actually was
> installing a full blown Fedora installation on a system with only 512M.
> ;)

because you are only seeing you desktop
the developers seems too

and that is why "yum" is consuming soo much RAM that on a virtual machine
with 512 MB RAM the kernel-OOM-killer is killing yum sometimes, and hey
we are speaking abut a terminal-app

there wents something TERRIBLE wrong in the linux world not only on fedora
side, they all starting to braindead waste ressources - the result is that
modenr hardware is not really fast as ten years ago if you looking
at the perfomrance the user gets out of it