Paradigm shift going from Gnome2 to Gnome3

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Wed Jun 22 13:52:50 UTC 2011

On 06/22/2011 02:37 PM, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 02:21:07PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
>>> But does Fedora 15 "require high end hardware"? No, it doesn't.
>>
>> It won't even install on a machine with 512Mb, so yes it requires high
>> end hardware by many people's measurements.
>
> I _really_ don't consider having more than 512M on a machine to be "high
> end hardware". The standard for YEARS now has been for systems to come
> with at least a gig or more of memory.
>
> Memory requirements are based on the intended purpose of the
> installation. And I'll wager that someone who's looking to use a GUI
> desktop on their system is not installing onto a machine with only 512M
> and hasn't been doing so for quite a while; i.e., F15 isn't the first
> release to need more memory than that for a GUI.
>
> Quite frankly, I'd question the sanity of someone who actually was
> installing a full blown Fedora installation on a system with only 512M.
> ;)

There are still cases where it would be useful to install an up-to-date general
purpose distribution on hardware that would be deemed "underpowered" by this
definition (some of the cute little atom and other bittyboxes for e.g).

I understand that there are compromises to be made but I do think it's
unfortunate if the installer will not function on this hardware. Post install
you pays your money and takes your choice but if the distribution will not even
install you are kinda hosed from the start.

Cheers,
Bryn.