Partitioning in anaconda

Frode fropeter at online.no
Sun Jun 26 01:10:55 UTC 2011

Hi. I've searched release notes, bugzilla and news archives for an
answer to this, but haven't found one. I have found one other query on
fedoraforum, but no solution. (
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-259666.html )

I started installing f14 on a machine (P4, 2GB ram, 30GB free on 75GB
HD, 1st partition is WinXP). I use manual setup of partitions, as I have
always done, planning to use the following approximate scheme:
     sda1 - primary - ntfs - 45 GB - winXP
     sda2 - primary - ext2 - 200 MB - /boot
     sda5 - extended - ext4 - 7 GB - /home
     sda6 - extended - swap - 2 GB - [swap]
     sda7 - extended - ext4 - 20 GB - /

It seems that anaconda overrides my choice of not ticking the 'create
primary partition' box in the 'add partition' dialog, making all three
first partitions created primary. This means that both /boot and either
/home or / would be primary partitions.

Questions:
  - 'Olde' knowledge says that only one primary partition can be visible
to the system at one time. Is this not longer true?

  - If still true, the system wouldn't be able to see the home or root
partition, would it?

  - If the behaviour is by design, what is the reasoning behind it? Is
it better than letting the admin decide?

I haven't yet tried partitioning with fdisk first, but will try to do
that tomorrow. Hopefully it will be a usable workaround.

Have a nice weekend,

Frode Petersen