twm on F15

Hiisi hiisi at fedoraproject.org
Sun Jun 26 20:01:56 UTC 2011

On 15 June 2011 04:58, Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:
> On 14Jun2011 16:13, Hiisi <hiisi at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> | Is it possible to run twm on fedora 15?
> | I can't find anything on it in documentation. The only link I've found
> | so far is this:
> | http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/12/html/Deployment_Guide/s2-x-clients-winmanagers.html
> | It's outdated and doesn't work. I did the following:
> | became root and run init 3
> | then xinit -e /usr/bin/twm
> | After that there was an error from X-server about usb-configuration
> | and then it halted.
>
> >From "man xinit" (admittedly, not on F15):
>
>    EXAMPLES
>       Below are several examples of how command line arguments in xinit
>       are used. [...]
>
>       xinit -e widgets -- ./Xorg -l -c
>               This  will  use the command .Xorg -l -c to start the server
>               and will append the arguments -e widgets to the default xterm
>               command.
>
> So you ended up running:
>
>  xterm /usr/bin/twm
>
> versus the more correct (syntacticly, anyway - it is still the wrong
> thing to do).
>
> The standard way to get full control is to make a ~/.xsession shell
> script. For example, mine:
>
>  #!/bin/sh
>  . /etc/profile
>  . $HOME/.profile
>  exec $HOME/rc/x11/session
>
> and then the "session" script it runs at the bottom starts the tools of
> your choice and then execs your preferred window mangler.
>
> Then just do a GUI login as normal. As yourself, _NOT_ as root!
> Try not to muck with root's environment - it is best to not get
> surprises when root.
>
> Untested example:
>
>  #!/bin/sh
>  ( xterm &
>  )
>  exec twm
>
> (The purpose of the subshell it to make the clients - xterm - not be
> children of the WM - avoids zombies).
>
> Or you could just have the .xsession:
>
>  #!/bin/sh
>  . /etc/profile
>  . $HOME/.profile
>  ( xterm &
>  )
>  exec twm
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> DoD#743
> http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Hi, Cameron!
Sorry for delay with response. I was on vacation since upgrading my
wife_rc1 (aka bride) to wife.i386.rpm. That was nice trip to Turkey,
Marmaris.
Thank you for clarification. I just tested it on F14 and now twm
starts. It warn me about lack of dozen fonts but seems to be working.
Actually problem was that I had to install xterm-261-2.fc14.x86_64 in
order to start twm using either xinit or any other way you suggested.
Tomorrow will test it on my F15 installation.

> I very strongly suggest that you periodically place ice packs over the abused
> areas.  - Steve Garnier
Thanks again
--
Hiisi