BTRFS Question...

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 07:25:15 UTC 2011

On 03/07/2011 10:23 PM, Manuel Escudero wrote:

> 2011/3/7 Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com <mailto:mike at cchtml.com>>
>

>     You're not out of luck though. After the installer copies the ext4
>     install image, anaconda could run "btrfs-convert /dev/foo" and
>     give you
>     a btrfs file system. The user even has the option to roll-back to ext4
>     later (with the caveat of losing any btrfs changes).
>
>     Just a thought.
>

> Didn't Quite got my answer, the thing is, I Know in Fedora's 15 DVD we
> will have the Option to select BTRFS as the Default filesystem.
>
> I was wondering if there's a way to pass this option or have it using
> the LiveCD images to install, I just Dont Like the DVD
> The Idea is to ask anaconda to format the most of my HDD as it can
> with BTRFS when I install F15. Will I be able to do this from the LiveCD?

As Michael said, there's a convenient utility to convert your ext4 to
btrfs, which can be installed with a few commands (if it doesn't come on
the LiveCD).
This is actually a Good Thing since btrfs doesn't even have fsck yet and
so isn't meant for the average user.

BTW, I tried using btrfs on a test machine and managed to kill it
completely in a few hours without trying.

HTH