Missing volume applet?

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 18:25:23 UTC 2011

Hi,

>> I'm not sure it's still called an "applet", but the little volume
>> control in the upper-right is missing on the panel on my fc14 system.
>> How can I get it back?
>>
>> The little network icon is also missing. I have no idea how this
>> happened. The clock and username are still there, though.
>>
>> What happens if I delete that panel and recreate it?

> [jb at localhost ~]$ which gnome-volume-control
> /usr/bin/gnome-volume-control
> [jb at localhost ~]$ which gnome-volume-control-applet
> /usr/bin/gnome-volume-control-applet
> [jb at localhost ~]$
>
> $ yum list gnome-media
>
> This is the same app as under:
> System-Preferences-Sound
>
> Make sure it is activated there, best to view and control with:
> $ yum list alacarte

These were all installed. When I run gnome-volume-control, it just
prints a box that says "waiting for sound system to respond". Is it
that it can't determine which is the proper sound card to use?

Also, while I kind of understand what alacarte does, there doesn't
seem to be anything there that specifically relates to the volume
control. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Alex