Missing volume applet?

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 18:44:47 UTC 2011

Alex <mysqlstudent <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> >> I'm not sure it's still called an "applet", but the little volume
> >> control in the upper-right is missing on the panel on my fc14 system.
> >> How can I get it back?
> >>
> >> The little network icon is also missing. I have no idea how this
> >> happened. The clock and username are still there, though.
> >>
> >> What happens if I delete that panel and recreate it?
>

> > [jb <at> localhost ~]$ which gnome-volume-control
> > /usr/bin/gnome-volume-control
> > [jb <at> localhost ~]$ which gnome-volume-control-applet
> > /usr/bin/gnome-volume-control-applet
> > [jb <at> localhost ~]$
> >
> > $ yum list gnome-media
> >
> > This is the same app as under:
> > System-Preferences-Sound
> >
> > Make sure it is activated there, best to view and control with:
> > $ yum list alacarte
>
> These were all installed. When I run gnome-volume-control, it just
> prints a box that says "waiting for sound system to respond". Is it
> that it can't determine which is the proper sound card to use?

Google search: waiting for sound system to respond
e.g.
Solution
Go to System->Preferences -> Startup Applications
Make sure you’re in the tab ‘Startup programs’
-> Click on ‘Add’
Name: Pulseaudio daemon
Command:/usr/bin/pulseaudio
Comment: Start the sound daemon

Now logout, then login again

> Also, while I kind of understand what alacarte does, there doesn't
> seem to be anything there that specifically relates to the volume
> control. Am I missing something?
For alacarte:
System-Preferences-Main Menu

then expand Preferences
scroll down to bottom to see
Sound
Startup Applications

Check off Sound
right-click on Sound to see Properties, etc

JB