Virtual Box & Windows -

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Thu Mar 24 15:36:20 UTC 2011

>> http://www.sysprobs.com/physical-virtual-virtualbox-virtualbox-p2v
>

> --
>
> Claude Jones
>
> Brunswick, MD, USA
>

>>   Thanks Claude, I spent some time with that yesterday after
>>   reading this but that page is pretty hard to follow. Poor
>>   example images that are different than I see? I will have
>>   another go at it and let you know if it works for me.

If you want to go virtual, it's easy enough to do with the imaging programs
clonezilla or Acronis.

First, it's probably a good idea to create a backup image with clonezilla or
Acronis so you can put it back the way it was if it all goes wrong.

Then, in XP open the Add/Remove Programs control panel and remove all your
drivers: video card, sound card, chipset, etc. If you're familiar with
Sysprep, run this next and shut down.

Now, boot with your image program and create the backup again of this
stripped down, sysprepped XP.

Then create your VM and its virtual drive, and restore the stripped down
image to the virtual drive.

It might work fine without using Sysprep since XP should have drivers for
the virtual hardware in the VM.  Just don't try to use 'virtio' hardware
until the VM is up and running.