Virtual Box & Windows -

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Fri Mar 25 13:11:51 UTC 2011

On Thursday, March 24, 2011, compdoc wrote:
> If you want to go virtual, it's easy enough to do with the
> imaging programs clonezilla or Acronis.
>
> First, it's probably a good idea to create a backup image with
> clonezilla or Acronis so you can put it back the way it was if
> it all goes wrong.
>
> Then, in XP open the Add/Remove Programs control panel and
> remove all your drivers: video card, sound card, chipset, etc.
> If you're familiar with Sysprep, run this next and shut down.
>
> Now, boot with your image program and create the backup again
> of this stripped down, sysprepped XP.
>
> Then create your VM and its virtual drive, and restore the
> stripped down image to the virtual drive.
>
> It might work fine without using Sysprep since XP should have
> drivers for the virtual hardware in the VM.  Just don't try to
> use 'virtio' hardware until the VM is up and running.

I like this! I'm a long time user of Acronis so I'm very familiar
with its workings. It is something you have to buy, though there's
a version available on the Seagate website that's a little
stripped down but available for free download - I have no idea
whether the feature set remaining in this version is sufficient to
do the above task, but it would cost you nothing to find out. I
think they call it Seagate Tools... VMWare has a free tool you can
download that will create a virtual hard drive of any physical
drive, and that's the one I've used. The page I linked to is one
of several I found which describes a way to take a VMWare created
virtual drive and convert it for use by VirtualBox, but I haven't
ever done that myself - this technique compdoc describes above
looks like it could be even simpler...

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA