F14 vlc update problem.

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 22:02:48 UTC 2011

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 13:13:43 -0700, Joe wrote:

> > False. Due to the changed SONAME, the program would not even start.
> > The dynamic linker would fail to find the "old" library. That's why
> > the dependency is on a specific SONAME and not ">=".
>
> I'm not quite sure I understand this.  Are you saying that the
> dependency is on a specific version, not *at least* a specific version
> because the developer doesn't want to take the chance that some needed
> feature isn't backward compatible?  If not, why be so fussy?  (Please
> note that this isn't meant as a challenge; I'm sure there's a good
> reason that I'm not aware of.)

It *is* a challenge, because if I understand your questions correctly [and
based on your word choice], I would need to start from the bottom up. How
much do you know about dynamically linked executables, shared libraries
and versioning schemes, and [automatically added ] shared library
dependencies with regard to RPM packaging? If you say "version", what
do you refer to?

Also, which "developer" do you refer to? The library developer? The
application developer (the app that uses a lib)? The package developer?