F14 vlc update problem.

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Fri Mar 25 22:09:43 UTC 2011

> It*is*  a challenge, because if I understand your questions correctly [and
> based on your word choice], I would need to start from the bottom up. How
> much do you know about...

Yes, but it's not as though I were calling the practice stupid or
anything.  I used to be a programmer, back in the '80s and did some work
on software utilities in FORTRAN at JPL with the late Dan Alderson.
(Jerry Pournelle once called Dan the "sane genius," btw.)  I'm not
looking for a highly technical explanation, partly because I suspect
that if I were, I'd already know the answer.  I am curious, however, and
a fairly general explanation might even be helpful to the OP.  Of
course, if there's no way to explain without going into TMI, that's OK too.